Layout Test Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 
X-Men rejects indeed!

I was, so to speak, excited at the thought of Sky High when I first heard of it. I know that the idea wasn't new, but I guess my hankering for next year's X-Men 3 is making me interested at any superhero movie that pops up before then. So... I watched it with Girlie on Tuesday afternoon.

It was kinda impromptu, I originally had planned to watch The Myth on Monday night but because Girlie couldn't make it at the time, and we were short of drivers, I had to cancel it. I re-scheduled it for the next night, which Girlie couldn't make it again, and so she offered to bring me out to watch it in the afternoon.

Since I had to make a raincheck (again!) on The Myth, I decided to watch Sky High instead and watch what I wanted to watch in the first place on Thursday night, if all things went well. So here's my two cents on Sky High.


The rejected and unpopular sidekicks



The popular clique of "hero's"... Or shall I say heroine's?



Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Gwen, the object of Will's affections



Girlie & I agreed that Layla's dress here is gorgeous!


Despite having people like Kelly Preston (who is John Travolta's wife, by the way) and the former Wonder Woman Lynda Carter on board, they didn't manage to save the movie. The movie's script and storyline was poorly written to begin with, and it really did seem like they were the rejected ideas for all superhero stories ever written.

In the world of Sky High, you can only be one, a Hero or a Sidekick. And being a sidekick pretty much means the same as someone being called a nerd or geek. You are only required to "assist" the hero you are assigned to after you graduate and that hero will be the one to choose your sidekick name. Which makes one wonder, did Batman choose Robin's name? *Hehe*

Anyway... Will has the power of incredible strength and later on, flight. Which is pretty the usual powers a superhero has. (Think Superman, minus the weakness from Kryptonite) Layla has the power to grow trees. (Which explains why she prefers to wear green throughout the movie) Others have the power to glow (?), shapeshift into a guinea pig, and the power of stretching their body at will. (Think The Incredibles)

The movie was really a disappointment from the beginning, moving from scene to scene quickly and not having any fillers. No character developement, and really, the montley crue Will befriends turn out to be nothing more than the group they were termed with from the start: sidekicks.

Okay, despite all my ranting, it did have some rare fun moments. Like whenever Will sees Gwen, his mind starts playing the song "True" by the Cary Brothers & that's all he can hear. Me & Girlie had a good laugh about that cause it's quite true. A lot of teenagers experience that sort of thing nowadays. *Hehe*

If you really have to watch it, buy a pirated copy or borrow it from a friend or something. To be honest, I'd have rather watched The Longest Yard twice.
Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

Archives

September 2005   October 2005   November 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?